Monday, September 3, 2012

Part 2

The Question 


Why do men rape? I would ask myself this whenever I read about or saw news channels covering  instances of rape. After a few minutes of pondering, I would forget about it until the next time I read or saw something. 

Things are different now. I need to know, because I have been a victim of the reason. For a few months after my rape, I kept telling myself that it was my fault- I was in the wrong place at the wrong time; maybe it was too dark; maybe I wasn't dressed appropriately; maybe I should have asked someone to accompany me. 

But wait. It was 6:45pm, I was clad in a kurta and the sky had just turned dark. What triggered the brute to assault me? I know that a woman should be able to wear what pleases her, go wherever whenever she wants to and walk freely without the aid of another person. Truthfully, the only reason we can't do any of the above (or exert caution while doing it) is because we are afraid of being sexually assaulted-and its a very very real threat. It is always there in the back of our minds. Dictating our very habits. We are driven by fear! How miserable is that? How wretched is a society that can't prevent such incidents from occurring? 

The one we live in is much more revolting. Not only is it unable to prevent rape, in most cases it can't even award a person who has been a victim of this mind numbing, heinous crime proper justice. Sometimes, society goes so far as to accuse and admonish the victims themselves. Deplorable. Unfair.  (I am not only referring to the “Indian Society” here, I am talking about society at large)

So what is the underlying cause?

The first thing that pops into my head is lust. The need to carnally violate a person against their will, in order to satisfy a dark, disgusting desire. But closer inspection has revealed that this is not the only reason. In fact, it isn’t even the predominant one. Rape is not just about sex. Most rapists are fuelled by anger and the need to gain control. Men who rape women do so because they hate women for a number of reasons which vary from rapist to rapist. It makes them feel powerful, domineering. This, I suppose stems from the very fabric of a male dominated society where a man rightfully feels that he is above a woman in the social ladder.

In my case, I remember the animal telling me “you deserve this”. I heard his voice just as I was gaining consciousness, and has been on my mind ever since.  My therapist told me why he must have said what he did, and it did not make any sense then, as my mind was too fragile to think and reason it out. But it isn’t anymore.  I completely understand that he was a cruel, deranged bastard who was trying to gain power by weakening me. I might not have done that which is most ideal-catching and punishing him, but I will not assist his cause. I will not fulfil his purpose. And neither should you.

No comments:

Post a Comment